Transport and Parking
Be aware that because of the historic structure of Ampthill town centre's road network, you may experience delays at peak times (i.e. 4.30pm - 6pm weekdays) particularly when approaching the town via Hazelwood Lane & Bedford Street (i.e. from Bedford), which may add 5 - 15 minutes to your journey time.
- Tel. 0870 6082608 for details of local bus times and other forms of local public transport
- Website: www.traveline.org.uk
- Flittabus - Travel from Ampthill to: Ampthill - Monday & Thursday (Thursday is Market day); Bedford - Wednesday; Flitwick - Thursday & Friday; Milton Keynes - 3rd Tuesday of each month. Timetables available from Ampthill Post Office & Ampthill Library. Enquiry Desk 01525 406561
- Mid Beds Link-A-Ride - A transport service for elderly and disabled people in the Mid Beds area. You need to register before you can use this service. There is a one off joining fee of £5. Tel: 01525 840511. Email: email@example.com.
- First Capital Direct - www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk
- Thameslink Programme - www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk
- Ampthill Walkers - www.freewebs.com/ampthillwalkers
- The Greensands Walk - www.greensandridgewalk.co.uk
- Ivel Valley Walkers - www.ivelvalleywalkers.co.uk
- Lets Go! - Ampthill & Maulden Circular Walk at Ampthill - http://digbig.com/4xxjk
- Lets Go! - Ampthill Millbrook Circular Walk at Ampthill - http://digbig.com/4xxjm
- Lets Go! - Coopers Hill (The Firs) - http://digbig.com/4xxjn
- Walking in Bedfordshire (download leaflets that detail loads of walks throughout Bedfordshire) - www.walkinginbeds.co.uk
- Bedfordshire Car Share - www.shareacar.com/bedfordshire_carshare_index.php
Do you want to get involved with tackling local transport issues?
- Bedford Commuters Association - www.bedfordcommuters.org.uk
- Bedford Area Bus Users' Society - http://babus.org.uk
- Sustrans - www.sustrans.org.uk
- Town Centre Shoppers Car Park - Maximum stay: 2 hours (Car park spaces marked M: 4 hours maximum stay Mon - Wed). Market vendors only on Thursday in lower part of the car park directly off Church Street. Parking is unrestricted outside Waitrose store opening hours.
- The Sands Car park (off Woburn Street) - Free long stay parking.
- Woburn Street Parking Bays - Free long stay parking.
- Bedford Street Parking Bays - Free long stay parking.
- Aragon Housing Association Car Park (Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday's only) - to access from Dunstable Street (opposite the Old Sun PH) turn into Chandos Road then turn first right and first right again. You can reach the town centre from the car park by walking down the side of the Housing Association building taking you back into Dunstable Street.
What does the Ampthill Town plan say about Transport and Parking Issues?
Ampthill is a historic town at the heart of which is an inheritance of narrow streets virtually monopolised by motorised transport that is mainly passing through. This pattern conflicts with the needs of Ampthill's residents living within easy reach of the town centre who might choose to visit by foot or bicycle but are put off by uncomfortably close, fast moving and intimidating traffic. Ampthill's residents deserve a better deal. The question is: how to achieve this is the shorter term?
THE VISION FOR THE FUTURE
- A pleasant environment for Ampthill, not dominated by motorised traffic.
- Safe and easy travel to, from and around Ampthill for residents and visitors.
- The town supports the establishment an Ampthill Traffic and Transport User Group.
- User-friendly access to the town centre access for all pedestrians and cyclists.
- Extending and reinforcing the 20 mph speed limit.
- Improved bus services.
- Improvements for rail users by building a Flitwick - Ampthill railway station.
- Establish an Ampthill Traffic and Transport Action Group.
- Identify and encourage alternative routes for Ampthill's through traffic
- Revive the campaign for a north/south bypass for Ampthill.
- Educate residents and businesses on considerate driving in the side roads.