Food & Drink
By living in Ampthill or visiting the Town you can experience cuisine from around the world or you can simply watch the world go by from the town's public houses or coffee shops.
- Alameda Restaurant - 32 Woburn Street - Tel 01525 405570 - Indian Cuisine
- Arena Restaurant - 111 Dunstable Street - Tel 01525 403361 - Indian Cuisine
- Ampthill Tandouri - 111 Dunstable Street - Indian Cuisine
- Donatello's Pizzeria - 91 Dunstable Steet - Tel 01525 404666 - Italian Cuisine
- Ampthill Tandoori - 119 Dunstable Street Indian Cuisine
- Fajitas Restaurant - 4 - 8 Kings Arm Yard - Tel 01525 404303 - Mexican Cuisine
- Fratelli's - 111 Dunstable Street - Tel 01525 405551 - Italian Cuisine
- Hong Kong Restaurant - Bedford Street - Tel 01525 840663 - Noodle House
- Raj Gate Tandoori - 8 Bedford Street - Tel 01525 404418/406235 - Indian Cuisine
Take Away Restaurants
- Ampthill Fish Shop - 89 Dunstable Street - Tel 01525 403373
- China Town Take Away - Bedford Street - Tel 01525 840663
- Meedou - 4 Bedford Street - Tel 01525 402527 (Chinese and English food)
- The Coffee Pot - 114 Dunstable Street - Tel 01525 841473
- Cooks Collection - 4B Bedford Street - Tel 01525 402023 (Tearoom & Shop)
- Costa - Dunstable Street
- The Olde Coffee Shop - 9 Church Street - Tel 01525 840899
- The Albion Arms - 36 Dunstable Street - Tel 01525 402113
- The Engine & Tender - 11 Dunstable Street - Tel 01525 403319
- The Old Sun - 87 Dunstable Street - Tel 01525 405466
- The Ossory Arms - 9 Arthur Street - Tel 01525 754664
- The Prince of Wales - 42 Bedford Street - Tel 01525 840504 - Fine Cuisine
- The Queens Head - 20 Woburn Street - Tel 01525 405106
- White Hart Hotel - Dunstable Street - Tel 01525 406863 - Ancient Coaching Inn (currently closed)
This unique complete meal - savoury at one end, sweet at the other - was made for Bedfordshire farm workers to sustain them through long, hard days out in the fields. This boiled suet meal is best eaten hot, with gravy and vegetables with the savoury, and home-made custard with the sweet.
Recipe (Servings 2)
- Level of difficulty: Intermediate
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- 450g pre-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
For the savoury filling:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp lard
- 225g minced pork
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 cooking apples
- 50g cooked peas
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
For the sweet filling:
- 2 dessert apples
- 50g Dates, stoned and chopped
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 55g sultanas
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
- To make the savoury filling, place the chopped onion and lard in a frying pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is soft and golden.
- Stir in the pork and sage and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Peel, core and chop the apple and add it to the pork mixture. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then stir in the peas, season to taste and leave to cool.
- To make the sweet filling, peel and chop the apples, then place in a mixing bowl and stir in the chopped dates, orange rind, sultanas and sugar.
- Roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick and cut out two circles, 25cm in diameter.
- Re-roll the trimmings and cut out two thick 12.5 x 1cm strips of pastry. Brush the long edges of each strip with a little beaten egg, and stand one strip, on its long side, from the edge to the centre of each circle, to form a wall. Make the strip stand up by pressing the bottom edge quite firmly onto the circle. Brush the edges of the circles all the way around with beaten egg.
- On one side of each pastry wall put half of the savoury filling, and on the other side put half of the sweet filling.
- Fold the other half of each pastry circle over the filling to form a pasty shape, and press the centre lightly so that the dividing strip sticks to the top.
- Pinch the edges firmly together, brush each clanger with the rest of the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- 11. Bake the clangers in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 190°C/gas 5 and bake for a further 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Links to Local Food